As Service regiments of the King’s
As Service regiments of the King’s Liverpool regiment the Pals would be expected to wear the King’s badge the White Horse of Hanover. However, in recognition of Lord Derby’s role in their formation, King George V approves the Eagle and Child cap badge for the Liverpool Pals Battalions. The Eagle and Child being the Derby family crest and the family motto is also included Sans Changer which translates simply as without change. Lord Derby had silver cap badges struck for each of his men and from 18th November onwards these were individually handed out to the men by Lord Derby himself. Most of these were subsequently given to wives, girlfriends, sisters or mothers in the form of sweetheart broaches made from the badges themselves.
By late October fresh appeals are made in the press for more men and the 20th Battalion is formed in early in early November and trained at Tournament Hall in Knotty Ash. There are enough for a further two reserve battalions the 21st and 22nd.
In November 1914 the 19th Bn left Sefton Park and settled into the new accommodation at Knowsley Hall. In December 1914 the 18th Bn left their home at Hooton Park, and also moved to Knowsley. By January 1915 the 20th Bn moved from Tournament Hall to Knowsley. The 17th Bn would remain billeted at Prescot but would march to Knowsley Hall each day. This allowed the four Pals battalions to train together and allowed the camaraderie to build.
As the losses in France and Flanders mounted, details of these were reported in the local press. The Pals began to receive taunts locally of being Derby’s Lapdogs. Ill-informed people were stating the Pals were effectively Derby’s own little army with no chance of seeing service on Western Front. Overzealous women were even handing out White Feathers to some of the Pals as they went about their business.