Menu ☰
Liverpool Pals header
Search Pals

Capt Arthur de Bells Adam (MC)
1885 - 1916

CPL David Wallace Crawford
1887 - 1916

Lce-Corpl John Joseph Nickle
1894 - 1916

Pte 17911 Morton Neill
1897 - 1916

Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft
1883 - 1918
Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft

Cpl 16793 Harry Sidney Baddeley

  • Age: 26
  • From: Egremont, Cheshire
  • Regiment: The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 18th Btn
  • K.I.A Tuesday 31st July 1917
  • Commemorated at: Hooge Crater Cem, Zillebeke
    Panel Ref: IV.D.12
Born 22nd June 1890 in Egremont and registered in Northwich District as Harry Sydney (with a Y) Baddeley. His father was unknown and sadly his 20 year old mother Mary Jane Baddley (without an E after the D) died on 29 October 1890 just a few weeks after his Birth.
So baby Harry was brought up by his maternal Grandmother; Harriet Baddley (without the e) who had married Joseph Alcock in Northwich in the December quarter of 1871.
On 23 May 1894 Harry was registered for school at Lostock Gralam Infants School, east of Northwich as Harry Sidney (with an i) Baddley of School Lane by Mrs Alcock his Grandmother as Guardian. On 1st April 1897 he was registered at Lostock Gralam Junior School as Sidney Baddeley, his Guardian this time is recorded as his Grandfather Joseph Alcock.
He was there until 21st June 1904 when he left, reason recorded as "Over 14."
The 1901 Census shows him  as aged 10, a scholar and a grandson at 13 School Lane, Lostock Gralam.
In 1905 his mother's half sister Annie Allcock marries a Peter Alcock at Bucklow Registry Office.
On the 1911 Census, 20 year old Harry is shown as Harry Sydney Baddley an assistant grocer born at Lostock Gralam now living with his Aunt, Annie Alcock and her husband Peter and all of his cousins at Norwood Cottage Norwood Road, Seacombe, Wirral.
On 31st August 1914, then aged 24, Harry enlists in St George's Hall, Liverpool, joining the 18th (Pals) Battalion of The King's Liverpool Regiment as Private 16793 his occupation is shown as provisioner. He is described as being 5 foot 4 inches tall, weighs 129 lbs and has a 36 inch chest. He has hazel eyes, brown hair and his religion is Church of England. 
He spends 1 year 68 days at home training. From the 23rd September 1914 he was billeted at Hooton Park Race Course and remained there until 03rd December 1914 when the battalion moved into the hutted accommodation at Lord Derby’s estate at Knowsley Hall. On 30th April 1915 the 18th Battalion alongside the other three Pals battalions left Liverpool via Prescot Station for further training at Belton Park, Grantham. They remained here until September 1915 when they reached Larkhill Camp on Salisbury Plain. He arrived in France on 7th November 1915 for the next 1 year 267 days of his life. On 02nd July 1916 he is promoted to Lance Corporal .
On 29th August 1916 his cousin Private 17027 Norman Goulding Alcock of the 11th Cheshire Regt and son of his Aunt Annie, who he lived with before they both enlisted, was killed in action in France.
On 11 April 1917 Harry is promoted to full Corporal and in June 1917 he is commended for Gallantry in the Field.
" 31 July 1917 Zero Hour 3.50 a.m. Rum was issued to all ranks. The issue of Hot Tea as intended was impossible for the water supply had been blown up by the enemy's shell Fire. The difficult country east of Ypres where the Menin Road crossed the crest of the Passchendaele Ridge was where the most determined opposition was encountered. Great opposition was encountered in front of two small woods known as Inverness Copse and Glencorse Wood."

18th Battalion

On this day, before Zero Hour, the 18th Battalion was part of 21st Brigade and was to form up for the attack from trenches from the area of Sanctuary Wood to Observatory Ridge but it was dark and continually falling rain gave very poor visibility. The departure of the 21st Brigade was delayed by heavy shelling.

The 18th King’s began to move forward in the rear of the 2nd Battalion of the Wiltshire Regiment who had been detailed as the left attacking battalion of the 21st Brigade.

No’s 1 and 3 Companies of the King’s led the way followed by No’s 2 and 4. In Sanctuary Wood there was considerable confusion, as a result No.2 and No.4 Companies became separated from the others, and were moved over to the left flank towards positions known as Surbiton Villas and Clapham Junction in the direction of the 90th Brigade.

No.1 and 3 Companies were soon in action with the enemy, and were for a time, held up against an enemy strong point. They pushed forward with their right on a trench known as Jar Row and their left on the tramway south of Stirling Castle. Advance along Jar Row was held up by the Germans who put up a fierce resistance and the party was forced to withdraw.

Another group of men from No.1 and No.3 Companies led by 2nd Lieutenant Graham were being held up by another strongpoint which was south of Stirling Castle, which was eventually stormed and taken.  Not far away from this action,  an attempt, by other men of No.1 and No.3 companies, was made to penetrate a broad belt of uncut wire, but this was covered by Machine-guns which killed almost every man attempting to pass through the two gaps that were discovered.

The situation was similar with No.2 and 4 Companies, who had attacked along the wrong axis. Their advance was met with fierce opposition, and once all the experienced officer’s had been killed or wounded, all cohesion was lost, although some men did reach and cross the Menin Road at Clapham Junction.

By that time, the situation had become extremely confused, and the whereabouts of all four companies being unknown to Battalion Headquarters, urgent attempts were made to discover their locations. Eventually by mid- afternoon, it was established that the bulk of the companies, although all mixed together, were dug in the vicinity of Stirling Castle and by mid evening, the Battalion Headquarters moved forward to meet them.

During its time in the line the 18th Battalion lost 7 officers and 76 men killed or died of wounds and 7 officers and 177 men wounded. They were relieved on the 2nd August.

It was here Harry was Killed in Action aged 26. He now rests at Hooge Crater Cemetery Ypres IV D 12.

His death was reported in the local press:

BADDELEY - July 31 killed in action Corporal Harry Baddeley (Liverpool Pals) of 45 Wright-street, Egremont. (A brave soldier,a hero's death) - Sadly missed by Nan Ravens. 
His Soldiers Effects under Henry Baddeley of £3:0s:7d and a War Gratuity of £15 were never claimed.
His is listed in Wyralls Volume III The History of the King's and Maddocks Liverpool Pals under Badderley  H.