Menu ☰
Liverpool Pals header
Search Pals

Capt Arthur de Bells Adam (MC)
1885 - 1916

CPL David Wallace Crawford
1887 - 1916

Lce-Corpl John Joseph Nickle
1894 - 1916

Pte 17911 Morton Neill
1897 - 1916

Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft
1883 - 1918
Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft

Sgt 22607 William Atherton

  • Age: 37
  • From: Birkenhead, Cheshire
  • Regiment: The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 20th Btn
  • K.I.A Sunday 30th July 1916
  • Commemorated at: Thiepval Memorial
    Panel Ref: P&F1D8B &8 C.
William Atherton was born in the June quarter of 1879 at 113 Brook Street Birkenhead to Manchester born Sailor Joseph Atherton and Castleblaney Ireland born Ellen Atherton (nee Conway), they were married on 09/07/1860 in Liverpool and had 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls William was their 6th and last child.
The 1881 Census shows him at 113 Brook St, Birkenhead 
The 1891 Census shows 11 year old scholar with parents and siblings at 186 Brook Street Birkenhead 
In 1901 his Father Joseph dies aged 59
25 May 1905 William marries Birkenhead born Martha Hurst at Birkenhead Registry Office. On 28 June 1906 his first child is born, a daughter Marjorie. On 10 August 1908 his second child a son Joseph is born 
The 1911 Census shows William a gas fitter with his wife and 2 children now at 133 Elmswood Road, Tranmere, Birkenhead. 
On 13 April 1911 his 3rd and last child is born, another daughter named Zoe
On 06 November 1914 William aged 35 years 99 days enlists into 4th City Btn (20th Battalion) of The King's Liverpool Regiment as Private. 22607. He is 5 Foot 7 and a half inches in height and weighs 182 lbs with a 43 inch chest. He has hazel eyes and brown hair and his religion is Church of England.

Formed in November 1914 the 20th Battalion were originally billeted at Tournament Hall, Knotty Ash before on 29th January 1915 they moved to the hutted accommodation purposely built at Lord Derby’s estate at Knowsley Hall. On 30th April 1915 the 20th Battalion alongside the other three Pals battalions left Liverpool via Prescot Station for further training at Belton Park, Grantham. They remained here until September 1915 when they reached Larkhill Camp on Salisbury Plain. He arrived in France on 7th November 1915.

His service record shows that on 09/02/1915  he is made Lance Corporal then a short time later on 12/03/1915 he is made up to Corporal. Further promotion followed on 19/04//1915 made up to Sgt on probation before on 06/07/1915 he is made full Sergeant CSM. He was posted to France on 07th November 1915.  On 11/06/1916 granted leave to return to the UK. He took part in the Somme battle at Montauban on the opening day of the Somme offensive, and he will have partaken in the action at Trones Wood before he went into battle at Guillemont on 30th July 1916. A day so catastrophic that it was referred to as Liverpool's blackest day as close to 500 Liverpool Pals were killed in action. 

 It was in this attack that William was reported Missing in action, his body never recovered. He was 37 years of age. However, it was 12 months before the Liverpool Echo confirmed his Death in August 1917.

William's body was not recovered from the battlefield or was subsequently lost as his name is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme. 


30th July 1916

The 20th King’s Battalion Diary records:

“At 4.45am prompt the attack was launched. Unfortunately, a thick mist prevailed and it was impossible to see more than 10 yards ahead. This continued until about 6 o’clock when it lifted slightly, but it was still too hazy and impossible to see what was happening 100 yards ahead. This being so, it was not surprising to find that the attacking waves were experiencing great difficulty in maintaining connection.”

At 6am, Lt. RE Melly, No.1 Company, reported that his men had taken the German Maltz Horn trench.

At 6.30am, 2/Lt. CP Moore reported that he had 150 men, 4 Stokes Mortars and 2 Lewis Guns, but he was the only officer. He also said that due to the fog, both his “flanks were in the air” i.e. he was not in contact with neighbouring troops.

At 9.10am, Moore was still not in contact at his flanks, and now he had only 75 men, he had sent out 2 patrols and neither not returned. Later Moore established communication with the French on his right.

Around 10.00am, 2/Lt Musker reported that he had just over a company with him, but his left flank was suffering from German machine gun fire. Later he reported that he had over 30 casualties from the machine gun fire. His flanks were also “in the air”. No contact was made with this party until the remnants returned around 9.30pm, all runners sent were killed or missing. The War Diary states that this group had: ”held the ground won all day, and this permitted the consolidation of the ground won on the Maltz Horn ridge with little interference from the enemy”.

Relief for 20/Kings had been planned for 11.00pm, but it was 5.00am on the 31st July before it took place, ending a tragic day for the Liverpool Pals.

Casualties for 20th Battalion were 16 Officers and 357 Other Ranks

When darkness fell on the battlefield the 30th Division held a line from the railway on the eastern side of Trones Wood , southwards and including Arrow Head Copse, to east of Maltz Horn Farm. On this line the division was relieved by the 55th Division during the early hours of the 31st July. 

The events of 30th July 1916 were regarded at the time as Liverpool’s blackest day. There follows an extract from The History of the 89th Brigade written by Brigadier General Ferdinand Stanley which gives an indication of the events of the day.


Well the hour to advance came, and of all bad luck in the world it was a thick fog; so thick that you couldn’t see more than about ten yards. It was next to impossible to delay the attack – it was much too big an operation- so forward they had to go. It will give some idea when I say that on one flank we had to go 1,750 yards over big rolling country. Everyone knows what it is like to cross enclosed country which you know really well in a fog and how easy it is to lose your way. Therefore, imagine these rolling hills, with no landmarks and absolutely unknown to anyone. Is it surprising that people lost their way and lost touch with those next to them? As a matter of fact, it was wonderful the way in which many men found their way right to the place we wanted to get to. But as a connected attack it was impossible.

The fog was intense it was practically impossible to keep direction and parties got split up. Owing to the heavy shelling all the Bosches had left their main trenches and were lying out in the open with snipers and machine guns in shell holes, so of course our fellows were the most easy prey.

It is so awfully sad now going about and finding so many splendid fellows gone.