Menu ☰
Liverpool Pals header
Search Pals

Capt Arthur de Bells Adam (MC)
1885 - 1916

CPL David Wallace Crawford
1887 - 1916

Lce-Corpl John Joseph Nickle
1894 - 1916

Pte 17911 Morton Neill
1897 - 1916

Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft
1883 - 1918
Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft

Pte 21825 Alfred Andrews

  • Age: 22
  • From: Edge Hill, Liverpool
  • Regiment: The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 19th Btn
  • K.I.A Sunday 30th July 1916
  • Commemorated at: Thiepval Memorial
    Panel Ref: P&F1D8B &8 C.

Alfred was born in the March quarter of 1894 probably at the family home 60 Irvine Street, West Derby, the son of George Andrews and his wife Marian Helen (nee Sanderson). George was born in Newbury, Berkshire and was employed as a foreman for a paper gag maker. Marian Helen was born in Liverpool. They married at St Augustine's Church, Everton on 20 May 1877 they then lived in Birkenhead for a few years before returning to Liverpool, moving to West Derby. They had 8 children in their marriage 6 boys and 2 girls sadly three of the children died; William Andrews died aged 1 in 1883 and Fanny Ann died aged 1 in 1887 and Harry died aged 13 in 1905
Alfred was the last born of the 8 children.
In 1901 aged 7 and a scholar, Alfred is shown on the Census living with his parents and remaining siblings at 243 Crown Street at his elder married sister's family home.
In the 1911 Census at 96 Chatsworth Place, Liverpool, 17 year old, Alfred a gas fitter is living at home with his parents and 2 brothers, also gas fitters
On 14 December 1914 aged 20 years 11 months Alfred enlists in Knowsley as Pte. 21825 into the 3rd Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment his home address is given as 54 Uxbridge Street Edge Hill, Liverpool. He is described as being 5 foot 7 and a half inches in height with a 36 inch chest. He transfers into the 19th Pals and after 328 days at home training he is sent to France on 6/11/1915 for the remaining 266 days of his life .
While in France his elder brother George Jethro Andrews aged 35 died at home in Liverpool. 

Alfred was killed in action on 30th July 1916 aged 22. He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme.

19th Battalion Diary 30th July 1916


BATTLE begun. ZERO hour 4:45 am. The Battalion reached its objective, but suffered heavy losses, and had to evacuate its position owing to no reinforcements.

Everard Wyrall gives details of the attack in his book The History of The King’s Regiment; 

"The 2nd Attack on Guillemont- 29th July 1916 the 89th Brigade the 20th King's were to attack on the right and the 19th on the left. During the evening of the 29th the night was dark and foggy when the Battalions moved off and the 19th with Lt Col G Rollo commanding, when passing the South east of the Briqueterie they were heavily shelled first with H E and then with a new kind of asphyxiating Gas shell which had curious results, at first it had no nasty effect but about 8 hrs later men began to fall sick with violent headaches and pains in the stomach. All ranks had to wear gas masks which in the darkness and mist made the going terribly difficult. It was indeed wonderful that they were able to reach their Assembly point at all. But they did and by 2.45 a.m. on the 30th July 1916 the Btn was assembled having suffered about 30 Casualties on the way up ready for the Zero hour at 4.45 a.m.

It is known that the two left Companies of the 19th under Capt. Dodd and Capt. Nicholson advanced in touch with the 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers on their left although they suffered many casualties from Machine gun Fire did not encounter many Germans and reached their final objective about the time allocated, beginning at once to dig in south of the orchard on the South east corner of Guillemont.  

On the left of the 19th the Scots Fusiliers most gallantly forced their way through Guillemont to the eastern side of the village but were soon overwhelmed by the enemy and few returned. 

At 8 a.m. finding that the village was not held the two left Companies of the 19th received no word from the rear or either flank believed themselves to be totally isolated so were forced to fall back and dig in, their position being untenable.

At midday the effective fighting strength of the 19th Btn was just 7 Officers and 43 other ranks" 

When darkness fell on the battlefield the 30th Division held a line from the railway on the eastern side of Trones Wood , southwards and including Arrow Head Copse, to east of Maltz Horn Farm. On this line the division was relieved by the 55th Division during the early hours of the 31st July. 

Casualties in the 19th Battalion were 11 Officers and 435 Other Ranks 

The events of 30th July 1916 were regarded at the time as Liverpool’s blackest day. There follows an extract from The History of the 89th Brigade written by Brigadier General Ferdinand Stanley which gives an indication of the events of the day.


Well the hour to advance came, and of all bad luck in the world it was a thick fog; so thick that you couldn’t see more than about ten yards. It was next to impossible to delay the attack – it was much too big an operation- so forward they had to go. It will give some idea when I say that on one flank we had to go 1,750 yards over big rolling country. Everyone knows what it is like to cross enclosed country which you know really well in a fog and how easy it is to lose your way. Therefore, imagine these rolling hills, with no landmarks and absolutely unknown to anyone. Is it surprising that people lost their way and lost touch with those next to them? As a matter of fact, it was wonderful the way in which many men found their way right to the place we wanted to get to. But as a connected attack it was impossible.

The fog was intense it was practically impossible to keep direction and parties got split up. Owing to the heavy shelling all the Bosches had left their main trenches and were lying out in the open with snipers and machine guns in shell holes, so of course our fellows were the most easy prey.

It is so awfully sad now going about and finding so many splendid fellows gone.      

In August 1916 having just lost their son George Jethro just weeks before, Alfred's parents found it difficult to accept his loss as well just weeks later. They placed an advert in the Liverpool Echo on 31 August 1916 requesting information on the whereabouts of Alfred, they also wrote to his Commanding Officer.  Another "Missing" advert appeared in the Liverpool Daily Post on 18 Sep 1916.
His Soldiers Effects and Pay of £3 0s 1d were sent to his Father George on 10/10/1917  and a War Gratuity of £7 was also sent to him on 17/10/1919
Alfred's Mother Marian Helen Andrews of 51 Uxbridge Rd, Edge Hill claimed his Army Pension till her death in January 1926. Thereafter, his father George of 34 Spofforth Rd, Edge Hill claimed it.


Killed On This Day.

(104 Years this day)
Wednesday 5th December 1917.
Pte 17536 John Hugh Baxter
22 years old

(104 Years this day)
Wednesday 5th December 1917.
Pte 52198 Clifford Smith
23 years old

(104 Years this day)
Wednesday 5th December 1917.
Pte 203219 John Swinburn
30 years old

(103 Years this day)
Thursday 5th December 1918.
Pte 25358 Wiliiam Robert Jackson
25 years old

(103 Years this day)
Thursday 5th December 1918.
Pte 260436 Leo Murphy
34 years old