Menu ☰
Liverpool Pals header
Search Pals

Capt Arthur de Bells Adam (MC)
1885 - 1916

CPL David Wallace Crawford
1887 - 1916

Lce-Corpl John Joseph Nickle
1894 - 1916

Pte 17911 Morton Neill
1897 - 1916

Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft
1883 - 1918
Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft

CQMS 22005 John Charles Baines

  • Age: 25
  • From: Liverpool
  • Regiment: 6th Kings
  • Died on Friday 3rd May 1918
  • Commemorated at: Houchin Bc
    Panel Ref: I.D.3
John Charles was born in 1893 the son of Henry and Mary Elizabeth Baines who lived at 364 Prescot Road, Liverpool. 

He enlisted in Liverpool on 06th November 1914 joining the 20th Battalion as Private 22005. He gave his age as 21 years and 209 days and stated his occupation as a Clerk. He is descried as being 5' 8 inches tall, weighing 133lbs with a fresh complexion with brown hair and brown eyes.

Formed in November 1914 the 20th Battalion were originally billeted at Tournament Hall, Knotty Ash before on 29th January 1915 they moved to the hutted accommodation purposely built at Lord Derby’s estate at Knowsley Hall. On 30th April 1915 the 20th Battalion alongside the other three Pals battalions left Liverpool via Prescot Station for further training at Belton Park, Grantham. They remained here until September 1915 when they reached Larkhill Camp on Salisbury Plain. He arrived in France on 7th November 1915.

He must have impressed his senior officers as he was appointed Lance Corporal on 08th December 1914. This was followed by his appointment as Acting Corporal on 25th August 1915, turned into a promotion to Corporal on 17th September 1915. Further promoted to Lance Serjeant on 17th September 1916, he then became Colour Serjeant on 01st January 1917. He was acting Company Quatermaster Serjeant when he was transferred to the 6th Battalion of The King's Liverpool Regiment on 22nd March 1918.

John Charles was killed in action on 03rd May 1918 aged 25.

Book extract- 

The diary refers to 3 May as a ‘quiet day’, with ‘slight artillery activity’, but between 3.15-4 p.m., it was anything but. In retaliation for divisional ‘heavies’ targeting the Crater Field, German 77-mm, 4.2 and 5.9s fired upon ‘A’ Company in Herts Redoubt, Givenchy Keep and King’s Road. ‘D’ Company’s platoons in Cavan Lane and Moat Farm were also hit and Minenwerfers targeted Givenchy Keep and ‘A’ in Piccadilly. At various times during the day an 8-inch Howitzer also fired into the subsector. Thirty-nine-year-old Rfn John Wilson was killed outright, and Rfn John Jackson died from his head wound on 1 June—both from ‘D’; also killed were twenty-five-year-old CQMS John Baines and Rfn Richard Davenport. CQMS Robert Hull was wounded in the face, shoulder and foot—a ‘Blighty’ wound that ended his time with the battalion. Also wounded were 2Lt Hubert Kershaw, Rfn Samuel Southern—whose arm wound resulted in medical discharge—and ‘original’, Rfn James Burke, with contusions to his side and right arm. The loss of two CQMSs and an older man, suggests the stores, adjacent to HQ, was hit. Night patrols found little to report, though enemy working parties, seen in Sap-K and Sap-I, were dispersed with Lewis and rifle fire.”

John Charles now rests at Houchin British Cemetery in France.

His effects were sent to his father.

Grateful thanks are extended to Kevin Shannon for permission to use the extract from his book The Liverpool Rifles: A biography of the 1/6th Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment.