Menu ☰
Liverpool Pals header
Search Pals

Capt Arthur de Bells Adam (MC)
1885 - 1916

CPL David Wallace Crawford
1887 - 1916

Lce-Corpl John Joseph Nickle
1894 - 1916

Pte 17911 Morton Neill
1897 - 1916

Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft
1883 - 1918
Lieut Edward Stanley Ashcroft

Lieut James Frederick Wilkinson Berry

  • Age: 21
  • From: Pendleton, Manchester
  • Regiment: The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 17th Btn
  • Died Friday 22nd November 1918
  • Commemorated at: Terlincthun Brit Cem Wilmille
    Panel Ref: XI.D.4
James was the only son of printer, George Frederic and Helen Berry of Swinton. He was born at Pendleton on 21/01/1897.

He attended Manchester Grammar School from 1911 - 1914 and whilst at the school he joined the Officer Training Corps. 

In 1914 he began studying photography and printing at Manchester University. Again he joined the OTC. In November 1915 he received a commission as Lieutenant and in June 1916 he arrived in France. 

After his training, he was commissioned in November 1915,and went to France in June 1916. He joined the 17th Battalion of The King's Liverpool Regiment at Montauban on 3rd July 1916,just after the start of the Battle of the Somme and was severely wounded in the right thigh less than a month later, on 30th July during the Battle of Guillemont. After treatment at the nearest Field Ambulance and No. 5 Casualty Clearing Station, he was evacuated to England on 8th August on board the Hospital Ship ‘Marama’. This ship brought back most of the ‘Blighty’ wounded from the Battle of Guillemont.

His wounds were so severe, that it took him two years to regain full fitness, and he only returned to the front in August 1918, then being attached to 1st/5th Battalion of the King’s Liverpool Regiment.However he had not long being back in France, when he fell victim to the influenza epidemic which was sweeping across Europe. He was evacuated to the 14thGeneral Hospital at Wimereux, but the influenza led to pneumonia, and he died on 22nd November 1918, eleven days after the Armistice. He was aged twenty one. 

He now rests at Terlincthun British Cemetery where his headstone bears the epitaph:


His death was reported in the local press:

Lieut. J.W.F.Berry

The death took place on November 22nd, at the 14th General hospital, Wimereux, France, from pneumonia, following influenza, of Lieutenant J .F. Wilkinson Berry (Eric), 17th King's Liverpool Regiment, attached to the 1/5th Battalion. He was the only son of Mr and Mrs G. F. Berry, "Innellan", Portland Road, Swinton, and grandson of the late Alderman J.F. Wilkinson J.P., a former Mayor of Eccles. Lieutenant Berry was educated at the Manchester Grammar School and matriculated at Manchester University, almost at the same time war broke out. He obtained his commission in November 1915, after a years training with Manchester University OTC. In June of the following year he went to France, and had only been there 5 weeks when he was severely wounded at Guillemont (July 31st). He was in hospital for a long time before he recovered sufficiently to take up his military duties again, and only returned to France last August. He was 21 years of age. He was for three years and member of the Manchester Grammar School OTC.

James is commemorated on the following Memorials:

Manchester Grammar School 

Manchester University


Killed On This Day.

(104 Years this day)
Monday 27th November 1916.
Pte 51893 James Arnold
38 years old